Play Dough is one of our favorite indoor activities. My kids love to create and play in the kitchen. Making your own dough goes way beyond just assembling a fun activity. You can turn this into a wonderful learning opportunity. Teaching kids about mixing colors, measuring, counting, and kitchen safety. These are just a few things your kid can learn while making their own dough.
There are many play dough recipes you can try but this by far is our favorite. This DIY recipe has been around forever. I find the dough mixes well and is very soft. It also keeps well if you store it in a nice sealed container. Hope you enjoy!
What you will need:
- 2 cups of flour
- 2 Tbsp of oil (any oil will work, coconut oil, vegetable oil, or olive oil)
- ½ Cup of Salt
- 2 Tbsp Cream of Tarter
- 1 ½ Cup Boiling Water
- Any food coloring (but gel works best for bright colors)
- Optional: essential oils
How to make play dough:
- Pour 2 cups of flour into a large bowl.
- Add ½ cup of salt.
- Mix in 2 Tbsp Cream of Tarter
- Add 2 tbsp of oil. I normally use olive oil, but any oil will work just fine.
- Gently pour in boiling water (I always ask my littles to step away when I
- do this step for safety) The key is to pour in a little at a time mix and then add a little more. Of course, be very careful since the water will be very HOT!
- Mix all ingredients together until it forms into a dough ball.
- Let cool.
- Separate dough into 3-4 equal part balls.
- Now, make a little bowl to pour coloring into. Only start with a few drops and add more if needed. You can mix colors to create your own fun colors.
- Knead the dough until its mixed completely and dye. This can be very messy. If you don’t want to stain your hands when mixing use rubber gloves.
- Enjoy. Place in container when done using.
Note: This dough is good for a month or two. Throw away when it begins to smell sour. You can also use essential oils when adding color. Have fun creating with your own scents and colors.
Here is some of the Utensils and supplies we used:
*Food coloring : https://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Gel-Food-Color-Primary/dp/B004167NFO/ref=sr_1_18?crid=1KHNXSECWXR9S&keywords=food+coloring+gel&qid=1563502796&s=gateway&sprefix=food+coloring%2Caps%2C309&sr=8-18
*Mixing Bowls: https://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-Prep-Bowls-Lids-Set/dp/B005D6G5N2/ref=sr_1_15?crid=2ZCZ6KXZAFMNM&keywords=mixing+bowls&qid=1563502894&s=gateway&sprefix=mixing%2Caps%2C308&sr=8-15
*Wood Spoons: https://www.target.com/p/acacia-wooden-spoon-hearth-hand-153-with-magnolia/-/A-54002747
*Favorite measuring cups: https://www.target.com/p/measuring-cup-set-threshold-153/-/A-52363353
You can watch us make this recipe saved under my IG highlights.